“And having been warned in a dream not to go back to Herod, they returned to their country by a different route.” –Matthew 2: 12
4 Magi-Inspired Epiphany/New Year Resolutions
1—Pay attention….look for signs of wonder….explore the world….
From How To Be An Explorer Of The World, by Keri Smith
- Always Be LOOKING (notice the ground beneath your feet.)
2. Consider Everything Alive & Animate
3. EVERYTHING Is Interesting. Look Closer.
4. Alter Your Course Often.
5. Observe For Long Durations (and short ones).
6. Notice The Stories Going On Around You.
7. Notice PATTERNS. Make CONNECTIONS.
8. DOCUMENT Your Findings (field notes) In A Variety Of Ways.
11. Create a Personal DIALOGUE With Your Environment. Talk to it.
12. Trace Things Back to Their ORIGINS.
13. Use ALL of the Senses In Your Investigations.”
2—Once you find your star, follow your star (i.e., Worship the things that are worthy of worship)
Ralph Waldo Emerson once said, “A person will worship something, have no doubt about that. We may think our tribute is paid in secret in the dark recesses of our hearts, but it will out. That which dominates our imaginations and our thoughts will determine our lives, and our character. Therefore, it behooves us to be careful what we worship, for what we are worshipping we are becoming.”
3—Be generous: give and receive great gifts…
“The meaning of life is to find your gift; the purpose of life is to give it away.”
4—Journey homeward in new ways….
We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.— T.S. Eliot
Prayer: Through our worship of you this year, O God, both here in this place, and indeed in everyplace as we explore your world, may we encounter you again and again, and again and again may we be changed and transformed through that encounter. As it was for the Magi, may it be so for us. Amen